Designing a toy for musical discovery – Patatin Patatan

Less than the 10% of the world’s population is able to play an instrument. However, the majority of the remaining 90% wish they were able to play any musical instrument. Sounds contradictory, doesn’t it? Some of the reasons that could explain this can be the lack of motivation during childhood or the late discovery of interest in music.

Patatin-Patatan is a musical toy aimed for children from 4 years old on. The objective of this project is to awaken children’s interest in music since their early childhood. It aims to encourage children to play with music and sounds coming through their own actions in a social, dynamic and challenging way. It is composed by two stick-like devices and a main console. While holding the sticks you will feel beats on a certain pace, only by moving the sticks according to that pace the sounds will be played.